Kreis Greifswald / Stadtkreis Greifswald
- Greifswald was a Landkreis and the city of Greifswald was a Stadtkreis.
- Greifswald was part of Swedish Vorpommern from 1806-1814.
- It was traded to Denmark for Norway in 1814.
- It was traded for Lauenburg in 1815.
- Greifswald became a Pommern Kreis in 1815, and was part of the administrative district of Stralsund until 1932. It became part of the administrative district of Stettin from 1932-1945.
- The city of Greifswald was a Stadtkreis from 1913, and was part of of the administrative district of Stralsund from 1913-1932, and then part of the administrative district of Stettin from 1932-1945.
- The University of Greifswald was founded in 1456.
- Greifswald was a Hanseatic City dating to 1250.
- The Russians occupied Greifswald during World War II.
- The architecture of the town includes the Rathaus (city hall) and some other colorfull buildings.
- Two important archives with many vital records are located in Greifswald, the Landeskirchliches Archiv der Pommerschen Evangelischen Kirche (Archive of the Pomeranian Evangelical Church and the Landesarchiv.
- The LAPEK has some original church books from Pommern churchse that are now in Poland.
- The Landesarchiv has civil records that date back to 1871 and later.
|Heimatkreisausschuß (HKA) Vorsitzender (Leader)
|Heimatkreisbearbeiter (HKB) (Manager)
Pommerscher Greif Ansprechpartner (Contact)